As a homeowner in South Florida, you’re no stranger to the annual hurricane season and the potential damage it can bring to your property. Investing in hurricane shutters is one of the best ways to protect your home from high winds and flying debris.
When selecting the proper type of shutters for your home, roll-down and accordion shutters are popular choices. In this post, we’ll take an in-depth look at two kinds of shutters, comparing their features, benefits, and drawbacks, helping you to make an informed decision on which type is best for your home.
Roll-Down Hurricane Shutters
Roll-down hurricane shutters, also called rolling shutters, provide exceptional protection during storms.
Additionally, these shutters serve as security barriers and can be deployed rapidly, making them suitable for daily use or multiple times a day if needed. This makes them an excellent choice for safeguarding homes, condos, offices, and businesses.
Benefits of Roll-Down Hurricane Shutters
- Ease of use: With a motorized system, roll-down shutters can be deployed with the push of a button, making them a convenient option for homeowners. Manual systems are also relatively easy to operate, though they may require more physical effort.
- Versatility: Roll-down hurricane shutters can be installed on windows, doors, and even sliding glass doors, making them a versatile choice for protecting various openings in your home.
- Aesthetics: When not in use, roll-down shutters are stored in a compact cover, making them less noticeable on your home’s exterior. They also come in various colors and finishes, allowing you to match them to your home’s design.
- Security: In addition to providing protection from hurricanes, roll-down shutters also offer added security against break-ins and vandalism.
Drawbacks of Roll-Down Hurricane Shutters
- Cost: Roll-down hurricane shutters are generally more expensive than accordion shutters due to their more complex design and motorized options.
- Maintenance: Depending on the type of rolling shutter you choose, they may require more maintenance than accordion shutters, particularly if you opt for a motorized system.
Accordion Hurricane Shutters
Accordion hurricane shutters consist of interlocking vertical blades that fold together when not in use, resembling an accordion. These shutters are typically made of aluminum or polycarbonate and are mounted on tracks that allow them to slide open and closed.
You could potentially utilize them for security protection since they possess a locking system. Nonetheless, their primary function is to protect against storms, not to ensure security. Here are some of the central features and benefits of accordion hurricane shutters:
- Cost-effective: Accordion shutters are generally more affordable than roll-down shutters, making them an attractive option for budget-conscious homeowners.
- Low-maintenance: Accordion shutters require minimal maintenance, as they do not have any mechanical parts that can wear or break down over time.
- Customizable: Accordion shutters can be customized to fit various window and door sizes and shapes, making them a versatile choice for homeowners.
- Permanent protection: Unlike temporary storm panels, accordion shutters are permanently installed in your home, providing constant refuge and peace of mind.
Disadvantages of Accordion Hurricane Shutters
- Aesthetics: When not in use, accordion shutters are more noticeable on your home’s exterior than roll-down shutters, as they fold to one or both sides of the opening. However, they are still less obtrusive than other types of shutters, such as colonial or Bahama shutters.
- Manual operation: Accordion shutters must be manually operated, which can be more time-consuming and physically demanding than motorized roll-down shutters.
Roll-down and accordion shutters offer valuable benefits when protecting your South Florida home from hurricanes. Your choice will ultimately depend on budget, aesthetics, and ease of use. Roll-down shutters may be the better option for homeowners looking for a more streamlined appearance and the convenience of motorized operation.
On the other hand, accordion shutters offer a more cost-effective and low-maintenance solution. Whichever type of hurricane shutters you choose, investing in this essential protection will give you peace of mind during the stormy season and help safeguard your home.
At Hurricane Shutter Company Fort Myers, we specialize in storm safety for your home! Our mission is to ensure the security of your residence during hurricane season.
We understand the fear and risk associated with hurricanes, but with our storm shutters in place, you can have peace of mind. If you’re looking to install accordion shutters or roll-down shutters in Estero, Cape Coral, and the surrounding areas, we’re here to help. Schedule a consultation with us today!