Hurricane shutters are an important investment for homeowners in areas prone to hurricanes and strong storms. They protect your home and can prevent damage from high winds and flying debris. In this article, we will discuss the things you need to know about hurricane shutters, including their types, benefits, and installation.
Types of Hurricane Shutters
Several types of hurricane shutters are available in the market, each with its advantages and disadvantages. Here are some of the most common types of hurricane shutters:
1. Accordion Shutters: Accordion shutters are made of metal or polycarbonate and are attached to the sides of the windows or doors with tracks. They can be easily opened and closed, providing excellent protection against high winds and flying debris.
2. Roll-Up Shutters: Roll-up shutters are made of metal or polycarbonate and are attached to a box above the window or door. They can be easily rolled up or down using a manual or motorized system.
3. Bahama Shutters: Bahama shutters are made of aluminum or wood and are attached to the top of the windows with hinges. They can be easily opened and closed, providing shade and ventilation when not used.
4. Colonial Shutters: Colonial shutters are made of metal or wood and attached to the windows’ sides with hinges. They can be easily opened and closed and provide a decorative look to your home.
Benefits of Hurricane Shutters
Hurricane shutters offer several benefits to homeowners in areas prone to hurricanes and strong storms. Here are some of the most important benefits of hurricane shutters:
- Protection: Hurricane shutters protect your home and can prevent damage from high winds and flying debris.
- Safety: Hurricane shutters can prevent injuries caused by broken glass and flying debris during a storm.
- Energy Efficiency: Hurricane shutters can help reduce energy costs by blocking out heat and cold.
- Increase Home Value: Hurricane shutters can increase the value of your home and make it more attractive to potential buyers.
Installation of Hurricane Shutters
Installation of hurricane shutters can be done by professionals or as a DIY project for those with experience in home improvement. Here are some important things to consider when installing hurricane shutters:
1. Building Codes: Check local building codes and regulations before installing hurricane shutters to ensure that they are installed properly and meet all safety requirements.
2. Material: Choose the right material for your hurricane shutters based on your budget, preferences, and the level of protection you need.
3. Size: Measure your windows and doors accurately to ensure the hurricane shutters fit properly and provide adequate protection.
4. Maintenance: Regularly maintaining hurricane shutters is important to ensure they function properly. Clean them regularly and check for any damage or wear and tear.
Hurricane shutters are an important investment for homeowners in areas prone to hurricanes and strong storms. They provide protection for your home, increase energy efficiency, and can increase the value of your home. When choosing hurricane shutters, consider the different types available and their benefits. When installing hurricane shutters, follow local building codes and regulations and choose the right material and size for your needs. With proper installation and maintenance, hurricane shutters can provide your home peace of mind and protection during a storm.
Hurricane Shutter Company Fort Myers offers storm safety. Let us keep your homes safe with our shutters. Get in touch with us.